Improving energy efficiency in a refinery is very critical, as Oil refining is an energy-intensive activity. Factors such as more stringent oil product standards (e.g. ultra low-sulphur diesel), increasing demand for lighter products, and heavier crude oil slates all demand increased processing, which in turn places upward pressure on the overall energy intensity for refining. Energy reductions directly relates to sending more products to the market and improving refinery margins.
Energy management in a refinery can be broadly classified into:
Optimization of energy on supply side (steam generation from boilers and electricity produced from captive power plants, etc.)
Optimization of energy consumed across the process units
Optimization of emissions
There is a strong consensus within the oil and gas industry on the importance of saving energy by improving the efficiency of operations along the supply chain and eliminating unnecessary waste. Large investments have already been made, and oil and gas companies continue to devote considerable resources in pursuit of further energy savings.
Primary strategies adopted for optimizing energy consumption in a running plant include:
Developing energy benchmarks
- Develop consistent metrics to evaluate performance within a facility and also compare energy efficiency between facilities which form the basis for setting goals, identifying energy reduction projects and facilitate tracking progress
- Develop modular energy performance indexes which take into account the different levels of complexity between refineries
Implementation of energy management systems
- incorporate efficiency improvements and emissions reductions into routine business operations
- implement ISO 50001 standard which prescribes key elements such as corporate energy policy, a baseline for energy use, improvement goals and action plans, energy reviews and routine evaluation of progress required for effective energy management and efficiency improvements
- Take a thread of learning from well-established energy management systems across the world such as Exxon Mobil’s Global Energy Management System (GEMS) targeting refinery operations and chemical plants; Petrobras’ Energy Efficiency Program for refining, cogeneration and heating systems; Repsol’s Energy Management Systems in refining and marketing segments including distribution and fuel stations, etc.
Identifying and introducing best management practices related to power and heat generation, efficient use of power for compression, pumping and energy conversion, venting of equipment, practices specific to wells, process units, and upstream and midstream plants, refineries and petrochemical plants and energy efficient design
- Advanced Process control projects (see our brochure on APC offerings
- Steam Network Optimization Program
- Use of Energy Balance Tools and use of reconciled data for monitoring Energy KPIs. This can be done in conjunction with Production Accounting tool or implemented separately.
- Investment in a variety of specific energy improvement projects (usually with investments for revamp)
Steam Network optimization
Efficient energy management calls for optimization from a granular level (say heat recovery system in a small fired heater) to a macroscopic level (such as large crude unit charge heaters).
Flash steam recovery, recovering heat from the blowdown water of various boilers, waste-heat steam generators, minimization LP steam condensation and proper steam tracer system are some of the endless options for process engineers to optimize steam balance in a refinery
Energy Management Solutions offer a useful handle to:
- Examine and analyze energy usage through statistical models based on Time-Series Analysis
- Highlight and resolve energy imbalances
- Identify both system-wide and equipment-specific operational cost improvements
- Facilitate accurate performance monitoring
- Use energy performance KPI’s to track how energy is being consumed in a plant, identify gaps between targets, historical and actual performance and identify counter measures to improve energy performance.
- Real-time online energy management to increase energy efficiency, minimize the emissions of pollutants including global warming gases and reduce total energy costs
- Address "what-if" scenarios to develop optimized operating strategies during scenarios such as plant shutdowns, equipment selection, etc. Examine and analyze energy usage through statistical models based on Time-Series Analysis
What we offer
We are a team of experienced consultants having in-depth knowledge in conducting energy management studies at client sites across the world.
We specialize in
Conducting energy optimization studies to boost profitability
Identify potential areas of energy recovery
Devise comprehensive steam and fuel models for analyzing utility systems and predict results for a wide range of operating conditions
Devise energy performance KPI’s to track the actual performance
Develop optimized operating strategies during non-routine and challenging situations
To learn more on any of the above topics and contact us on whatsapp, whatsapp us on
You can also visit following pages: