- Are you looking for a good system to record and retrieve process and production data by time?
- Are you looking to integrate MES solutions with a real-time data historian?
- Are you aware of the key features of the Laboratory Information Management System?
- Is the sample management in your lab best-in-class?
- Are you aware of advanced tools to take effective control over tank farm operations management?
- Do you have good visibility of all the activities and data at the off sites area?
- Are you facing the issue of conflicting month-end actual operating results from various sources?
- Do you perform refinery wide material balance on a day-to-day basis?
- Are you looking for a good source of actual data to carry out Retro-Analysis?
- Are you facing issues with your existing instruction management to manage operations?
- Is your shift log maintenance the best-in class?
- Is your top management unhappy with the operational visibility offered by the customized reports you generate?
- Do you see that considerable time of the working level engineer is going into generation of need based reports?
- Are you looking for solutions to respond faster in the event of business disruptions?
Manufacturing Execution Systems
At iOG, MES refers to the following six application modules.
- Data Historian
- Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Oil Movement Management
- Production Accounting and Data Reconciliation
- Operator Logbook and Instructions
- Track Key KPIs using Corporate Dashboard
MES applications enable you to
- Collect and Store the plant data
- Increase visibility to performance information, both in the plant and across the supply chain
- Analyze the data in real-time
- Measure and Monitor the performance
- Drill down at the root cause of the problems
- Track and schedule the orders
- Enhance the process of Production Execution
- Quality management
- Provide feedback to ERP and Planning Systems.
A Data Historian (also known as a Process Historian or an Operational Historian) is a software program that allows us to pull data from multiple sources to a common platform for analysis. It also allows us to record and retrieve production and process data by time.
Following are the key functionalities of this application:
- Stores information in a time series database and displays data trends
- Record vital plant information such as pressure, temperature, flow, throughputs etc.
- Can be used on stand-alone basis to enable enterprise-wide benchmarking
- Facilitates analysis of plant operation and root cause analysis
- Allows for correlation of information
- Provides data acquisition redundancy
- Enables simple archival information storage in time blocks for over 20-30 years
- Provides unmatched data security and granular drill down capacity
The LIMS system receives data from two sources
Following are the key features of this application
- Sample Analysis and Reporting
- Barcode Management
- Lab Inventory Management
- Instrument Calibration & Maintenance
- Operator Logbook
- Instrument Logbook
- Sample Disposal
- Integration with Lab Instruments
- Custom Reporting
- Lab KPI Management
- Lab Cost Analysis
- Interfacing with other MES Applications such as Data Historian, Yield Accounting etc.
The Oil Movement Management (OMM) application also known as Off-sites Area Management Applications, closes the loop between basic control systems in the offsite areas such as blending, Automatic Line, Movement Execution, Shipping & Loading and the Advanced Automation and IT systems that are related to offsite area such as Scheduling, Production Accounting, Operations Management, Billing, Invoicing and Sales. It provides Operations and off-site management with a one-stop overview and awareness of all important events, tasks, data, instructions and activities in the tank-farm area.
Oil Movement Management provides benefits to refinery off site operations staff in the following manner:
- Provides visibility of all activities and data at the off sites area.
- Improves the offsite area operational integrity through real time monitoring.
- Improves efficiency of the shipping and marine operations.
- Support disciplined off site operations through order management.
- Stores history of all the data, instructions, actions and movements.
- Automates data exchange with other systems such as production accounting, ERP, MBDR and others to improve data accuracy and reduce manual data entries.
- Provides consistent and accurate data to improve planning and scheduling.
- Provides alerts and escalation capability as needed.
- Provides a hub for exchange of data with external parties as needed and allowed by company policy; this can automate exchange of data, reports, requests and acknowledgement.
The Production accounting application performs reconciliation of the measured raw data and provides accurate data for daily production accounting and performance reporting. It acts as a consolidated and single-source reporting of production statistics from a centrally located system, accessible to employees across the organization ranging from Top Management to Product traders to Retro-analysts. It will not only eliminate conflicting actual operating results but also support high level analysis and decision making.
Following are the key functionalities for Production accounting and data reconciliation:
- Provides functionality to perform exhaustive daily mass balance and reconciliation.
- Monthly reconciliation based on daily reconciled values aggregated over the entire month based on tank inventory values at the beginning and end of the month.
- Facilitates automatic engineering unit conversion such as BBL to MT
- Creates an exhaustive model which can be built in several levels starting from unit level objects, aggregating to units, which in turn aggregates into theentire plant.
- Offers user-friendly GUI to display measured flows and reconciled flows
- Provides capabilities for calculating various KPIs such as losses, efficiencies, yields & Solomon KPIs
- Efficiently handles simple and complex user defined calculations e.g. arithmetic, equation based or function based calculations.
Basic steps involved in Yield accounting are:
- Import of data into the production accounting tool
- Gross Error Detection and Mitigation
- Reconciliation of Plant Information
- Publishing of Reconciled Yield data and KPI’s
To ensure agile communication and information transfer within the operations team, refineries require an operations management system that automates their instruction management as well as the operations logbook. The integrated system provides a comprehensive platform for managing operating targets and instructions from the scheduler level to operations, actions taken to meet the plan and tasks among plant operation teams, routine reporting and shift handover logs.
Following are the key functionalities of this application:
- Logs events, comments and observations for use in daily and shift reports and exhaustive analysis
- Interfaces with the operations support group such as Process Control to communicate on routine plant operations support
- Provides ability to set and manage scheduled, economic and other operating targets; scheduler's instructions and to summarize shift handover information.
- Allows monitoring of the refinery performance
- Is equipped with the capability of storing the historical data pertaining to operating instructions, shift logs
- Provides displays and reports that can be used for daily/weekly operations meetings.
- Alerts other departments/units on events through active and passive reporting (i.e. shift reports on the archive)
- Provides metrics to compare actual operations to safety, design, process and environmental limits as well as scheduled operations e.g. month-to-date, year-to-date etc. calculations and deviations analysis including operator comments, observations and suggestions.
Corporate dashboards serve the Top Management requirement of having an integrated view of static and dynamic data right from crude exploration/procurement all the way down to secondary distribution. Analytics are often used in this infrastructure to compare different metrics, analyze or foresee situations that might get alarming based on forecasted trends.
Key benefits of Corporate Dashboards:
- Facilitate top management in visualizing the outcome of a strategic decision often backed up by good data historical
- Static and Real-time data such as KPI’s (Key Performance Indices) and KOP’S (Key Operating Parameters) can be viewed readily in a-la-carte trends and interactive graphical charts for better analysis
- Spares the valuable time of the working level engineer in digging relevant data and developing customized reports for Top Management
- Single, integrated end-to-end real-time visibility of information across the business chain
- Owing to the automated flow of data into the dashboards, the chances of source data getting manipulated are mitigated
- Provides an opportunity to respond faster in the event of disruptions in the business chain
- Effective Plan Vs Actual tracking
- Real-time awareness with drill-down capability and configurable, analytical and notification capabilities (such as traffic signal kind of lights)
- Apart from the above tangible benefits, the intangible benefits include improved organizational understanding and awareness, better team work and co-ordination and improved decision making
What we Offer:
Our vast experience in implementing Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) Solutions for Oil Majors across the globe make us a perfect partner to:
- Provide automated seamless data flow processes through Integration of MES solutions and design well-defined quality control steps to ensure flow of desired data
- Study the MES system “As-is” and provide roadmap to design best-in class MES solutions
- Develop customized applications and interfaces to fit client-specific requirements
- Deploy expert solutions to track and mitigate gross errors in complicated networks
- Delivery of standard or customized training on the basis of one-on-one staff mentoring for users, administrators and support personnel in your organization
- Provide functional and cross-functional overview for better visibility of real time operations for Top Management to have the necessary Business Intelligence and make insightful decisions based on changes in business and markets
- Align key business transaction systems such as MES, trading platform and ERP in one window and design viable and easily accessible solutions in-line with the industry wide best practices